Translate the page

Saturday 15 June 2013

Story of a soldier

The best compliment I received since the release of my poetry book "Deep In My Heart " A mail from Air Vice Marshal Rakesh Yadav   followed by touching poetry composed by none other than him...

Dear Alka,
1    How are you ?

I am reading 
Deep in my heart
With some breaks,here and there 
Soon absorb this piece of art

Meanwhile, to a poetess
Story of a soldier
Narrated in dream
'O' our men on frontier

2    Would select my favourites out of very impressive line up of 65 soon and revert.
Best wishes
Air Vice Marshal Rakesh Yadav









Subject: Final posting



Last night while sleeping
I died. . or so it seemed
Then I went to heaven
But only in my dream

Up there my Record Keeper met me
Standing at the Entry Gates,
He said, "I must check your record...
Please stand here and wait."

He turned and said "Your record
Is covered with terrible flaws,
On earth I see you rallied
For every losing cause."

I see that you drank rum,
smoked and killed too,
Fact is, you've done everything
A good person should never do.

We can't have people like you up here....
Throughout your life all you did was hear,
You carried out orders without pausing to think.
You never asked for instructions in ink..

Then he read the last of my record
And his eyes grew moist.
He took my hand gently and said,
"Come in.

'You stood in isolated places and shivered alone
You left your kith, kin, hearth and home
You come from an unresponsive, ungrateful nation
You were denied your rights by every Pay Commission'

He led me up to the Caretaker of Heaven ...
"Take him in and treat him well,
He has served in the Indian Military ...
He's done his time in Hell. "

Copyright ©2012alkanarula photo credit - google image search results Link for your google analytic code

8 comments:

  1. Poetry as smooth as it can be

    and yeah mam, I loved the last three stanzas, were wonderful which very well defines the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem was good enough a reason to court-martial him, but is really touching as a perspective of an soldier, who, keeps his corps, his unit, his nation, always above self, and still we miserably fail to recognize his importance and contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poetry goes as smooth and silky as a stream. Yep, the Indian Army becomes hellish for many reasons to those who man it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma'am... luckily stumbled upon your graceful, honest and alive poetry that actually makes sense....specially this one is closer to me than all...

      ...just as a token of appreciation, allow me to share these two posts with you...because I see respect in your words for these men..

      1. http://justspokenthoughts.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/aye-aye-soldier/

      2. http://justspokenthoughts.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/as-i-walk-back-to-life-a-soldier-returns/

      Happy Blogging

      Prashant

      Delete
  4. Such a nice and free flowing composition.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alka, this is deep in many hearts. only poets could bring out those. hats off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salute for this wonderful poem- have great respect for the Army-and these words come frm deep within

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Link Exchange | Products And Prices
The list of link building products and prices currently offerd at LinkMarket.Net.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...